Monday, May 27, 2013

Lucid dreaming: Controlling the being within

Disclaimer: The following post was written while severely sleep deprived, so the quality of the content might be sub·par.

No copyright infringement intended, picture will be removed upon request.

I'm sure most of you have had a  really  realistic dream at some point in your life. I don't mean one of those dreams where you wake up and think: "Damn, that was a cool dream." I mean one of those dreams that are so realistic you're convinced it actually happened for quite some time even after waking up. For me these kinds of dreams are few and far apart, but when i do have one, it usually sticks in my memory even after waking up, which is quite unusual for dreams.
 Anyways, as an example I'll use one that I had a really long time ago, I might have been around 9-10 years old.

I had been to an outdoor pool with my family the previous day and wasn't exactly a proficient swimmer. I spent most of my time admiring the couragous guys who would throw themselves off the 10 metre tall diving tower while performing a wide variety of acrobatic stunts. I was extremely jealous of how cool they looked, and the only thing I could think of was seeing myself flying of the edge.
Suddenly I felt a rush through my body and I rised to my feet, I was gonna do it. I started the long climb of stairs to the top. I was in my element. Here I was, half the size and age of everyone else who was waiting at the top. They were all staring at me as i ran, leaped off the platform and into the air. I was the center of attention, I could feel their eyes following me as my body closed in on the blank water surface. It was the best day of my life.
I could remember every detail as I lay in my bed, thinking of the miracles that had unfolded the day before. I got out of my bed and ran down the stairs and into the kitchen, eager to brag about yesterdays feat to my parents. "Mom, mom, did you see me yesterday? Did you see me jump?" My mom seemed confused. "What do you mean, jump? " "From the diving tower, you saw it, right?" I responded. It was obvious by the look on her face that she had no idea what i was talking about, and I slowly realised what had happened. I had dreamed that i jumped. In reality I had never even left myspectator spot.

After this I've had a few similar experiences, and only a few years ago did i truly understand what these experiences actually was. Or at least i think I know? The dreams I had was lucid dreams, but instead of consciously taking control of the dream, I had done so unconsciously, resulting in a dream almost inseparable from the real world.
So what exactly is a "lucid dream?" Well, in short, it's any dream in which one is aware that one is dreaming. What this means is that one can take control of the dream and do all kinds of crazy stuff which would be impossible in the real world, while still maintaining a feel of reality. While these dreams usually come quite randomly, it's actually possible to learn how to control it, and lucid dream on a regular basis.

I've tried to master this for quite a while now, but I find it really hard and have only been successful in one controlled lucid dream thus far. However, I haven't really been trying too much the last couple of months, and it's something I would really love to put more time into this summer. There are quite a few different methods to go about achieving a lucid dream, and the one I've been using is called the WILD technique and seems to be the most straight forward way.

Have you ever had any experiences with lucid dreams, or even tips for me to improve? I would love to hear your thoughts!

No comments:

Post a Comment